Sometimes a brownie does make everything better. In fact, there have been many times in my life that I thought baking and enjoying some brownies, made a huge difference in my day. I know for some that may sound ridiculous, but just try it, you’ll see how brownies can make you feel so much better, especially if you’re having a rough start to your day.
Sourdough Brownies are something new to even me. Yes, I have an ongoing sourdough starter, that I think everyone should have on hand regardless of being in isolation, or not. It’s just wise to have natural yeast in your refrigerator to bake with whenever you want to create something extraordinary, like brownies. No, most brownie recipes don’t have yeast in them, but why not? I think even fudgy brownies deserve a little lift in the oven when being baked, don’t you?
You may be asking, “Do they taste like sourdough,” not really, but these brownies are some of the best I’ve ever had. It could be the combination of melted chocolate, dark chocolate chips and good cocoa powder, but I think it’s something more – the sourdough starter. So, if you’re a sourdough person, or want to become one, here’s a great place to use up that starter.
2 1/4 cups dark or bittersweet chocolate chips, divided
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
5 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cocoa powder
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 cup sourdough starter at room temperature
1 1/2 cups toasted pecans, chopped
(Makes 16 Brownies)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 13 x 9 inch baking pan and line with parchment, allowing excess to hang over edges.
- In a microwave safe large bowl, add 1 cup chocolate chips and butter. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Remove and stir until butter and chocolate are completely melted, about 1 minute.
- Add both sugars and whisk to combine. Add eggs one at a time, whisking to incorporate in between. Add vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Add flour, cocoa powder and salt and whisk until smooth. Pour in sourdough starter and whisk until combined. Add remaining chocolate chips and pecans and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 38-40 minutes. Remove and let cool completely before slicing. Enjoy!