The Super Bowl is next weekend and many people with be gathering for the big game. Burgers and hot dogs are always a big hit, but this year my Mexican Turkey Burger Sliders should be on your menu because they are so deliciously good. These mini turkey burger patties are plenty meaty, and made with Mexican spices, pickled jalapenos and jack cheese.
The key to a good turkey burger slider is to buy dark meat, or at least 80% lean ground turkey – skip the super lean stuff. You want the sliders to stay tender and juicy, so they can drink up all the dried spices beautifully. The patties are cooked on the stove top in a skillet and placed on a brioche mini-bun that’s been slathered in smashed avocado for a creaminess that’s irresistible. This burger bite is big enough for the hungriest of eaters and will keep them coming back for more.
1 pound ground turkey
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup pickled jalapenos
4 slices jack cheese, cut in half
1/2 avocado, mashed with 1/2 teaspoon salt
8 brioche slider buns
1 tablespoon oil for cooking
- In a large bowl, combined ground turkey, cumin, salt, paprika, onion powder, baking soda and pepper. Using your hands, gently squeeze mixture until combined.
- Pat turkey into 8 patties and place on a plate.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon oil. Add burgers and cook for 3 minutes. Flip over and place 3-4 jalapenos on top of each patty.
- Add 1/2 slice of cheese on top and cover skillet with lid. Cook 4 minutes or until burgers are plump and cheese is melted.
- Slather avocado mash on buns. Place turkey slider on one side and top with lid. Enjoy!