Quick Breads are simple to bake and make a great breakfast, dessert or snack in the afternoon. What I love most about them is their delicate crumb and that you can swirl any type of fresh or frozen fruit in the batter to create the most magnificent treat.
Desserts don’t always need to be fancy, just flavorful and my family all adores a good quick bread. This recipe I prepared while visiting my parents, and as you can see they all loved it – fresh, warm right out of the oven with just a dusting of powdered sugar.
During this season, I thought baking a bread that had both a hint of citrus; like lemon, combined with blueberries would be incredibly good. In this recipe, I used both fresh and frozen blueberries because that’s what I had on hand – they both baked up beautifully in this bread. The colorful swirl is just a bonus to the taste because it surely is delicious.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 tablespoon butter, room temperature
2 cups granulated sugar
zest and juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup milk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1/3 cup powdered sugar
(Makes 9-inch Loaf or 4 Mini Loaves)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour pans. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add lemon juice and zest and mix for 1 minute. Add eggs one at a time, mixing in between each one for 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together sour cream and milk. Add flour ingredients to batter in thirds alternating between milk mixture and flour mixture.
- Add blueberries to batter and stir by hand until just combined, and slightly swirled. Spoon batter into prepared pans and bake for 30-45 minutes depending upon size of pan. Remove from oven and let cool for 30 minutes.
- Loosen around edges with knife and invert onto rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!