Whether it’s hot or cold outside, preparing a meatloaf in an Instant Pot always seems like a good idea. For us warm weather folks, using an Instant Pot for cooking doesn’t heat up your house because you don’t need to turn on the oven, and for all of us – it cuts down on cooking time, and creates a tender and juicy meatloaf. Using chicken instead of beef or pork, lightens up meatloaf and adding Italian spices with a quick marinara on top, gives it a tasty twist. I have a great Turkey Meatloaf Recipe, and if you’ve never made it, you should at some point. My former clients used to devour it at great lengths, and it was probably my most popular meal when I ran my own personal meal delivery business.
Ground chicken is becoming almost as popular as turkey, but you can use turkey in this recipe as well. When using ground chicken, I prefer a little more fat in it, but if you can’t get it, the all white-meat ground chicken will stay just as moist in this recipe, because of all the additional ingredients and preparing it in an Instant Pot.
The sauce is a puree of canned tomatoes with some spices that you spoon over the top before steaming. It adheres to the surface of the meat and doesn’t slip down the sides, like you risk when slow-roasting meatloaf in the oven. The intense steam pacts in moisture, definitely making this meatloaf fork-tender. The entire loaf is cooked in 30 minutes and ready to slice and serve in no time. I think this could be the start of a beautiful thing, making meatloaf in an Instant Pot is a game changer.
1 1/2 ground chicken or turkey
1 white onion, diced
2 slices bread, pulverized in food processor
1/3 cup half & half
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons ground oregano
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano, or Italian seasoning
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all Meatloaf ingredients, set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree Sauce ingredients, set aside.
- Pat meatloaf together to form a 8-inch circle in bowl. Double two sheets of foil and form into an 9-inch circle, crimping around edges to form a 2-inch cuff. Place meatloaf in center.
- Add 1 cup of water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place meatloaf with foil onto wire or rubber rack with handles, lower into Instant Pot. Spoon 2/3 of sauce over top of meatloaf and seal lid on top (reserving remaining sauce to serve alongside). Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Release pressure immediately, and remove lid. Lift meatloaf out of pot and lift off of foil with spatula. Place meatloaf on cutting board to rest for 7 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve with vegetables or potatoes. The leftovers make great sandwiches. Enjoy!