Whether it’s hot or cold outside, preparing a meatloaf in an Instant Pot always seems like a good idea. This Instant Pot Italian-Style Chicken Meatloaf uses chicken instead of beef or pork to create a lighter version of a classic, while still providing those comfort food flavors. Italian spices with a quick marinara on top gives this recipe a tasty twist, just like my Turkey Meatloaf Recipe, which was a “best seller” when I ran my private chef business.
Ground chicken is becoming almost as popular as turkey, and when using ground chicken, try and find some with a little more fat in it. However, all white-meat ground chicken will stay juicy in this recipe, because of all the additional ingredients, not to mention the hot steamy environment where it’s cooked.
The sauce is a puree of canned tomatoes with some spices that you spoon over the top before steaming. It adheres to the surface of the meat and doesn’t slip down the sides, like you risk when slow-roasting meatloaf in the oven. The entire loaf is cooked in 30 minutes and ready to slice and serve in no time. I think this could be the start of a beautiful thing, making meatloaf in an Instant Pot is a game changer.
1 1/2 ground chicken or turkey
1 white onion, diced
2 slices bread, pulverized in food processor
1/3 cup half & half
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 teaspoons ground oregano
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
14 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon dried oregano, or Italian seasoning
1/2 clove garlic
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of red pepper flakes
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all Meatloaf ingredients, set aside.
- In a food processor or blender, puree Sauce ingredients, set aside.
- Pat meatloaf together to form a 8-inch circle in bowl. Double two sheets of foil and form into an 9-inch circle, crimping around edges to form a 2-inch cuff. Place meatloaf in center.
- Add 1 cup of water into bottom of Instant Pot. Place meatloaf with foil onto wire or rubber rack with handles, lower into Instant Pot. Spoon 2/3 of sauce over top of meatloaf and seal lid on top (reserving remaining sauce to serve alongside). Cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Release pressure immediately, and remove lid. Lift meatloaf out of pot and lift off of foil with spatula. Place meatloaf on cutting board to rest for 7 minutes before slicing. Slice and serve with vegetables or potatoes. The leftovers make great sandwiches. Enjoy!