It’s definitely soup season and there’s no better way to fill up on good-for-you vegetables than with a big bowl of my Instant Pot Creamy Vegan Asparagus Soup with Tomato Croutons. Asparagus are available year round and fairly economical because you can prepare a big pot of soup with just one bunch. This warm creamy soup has no dairy because I thicken it with a handful of new potatoes for a naturally luxurious consistency. The tomato croutons are a simple toss of diced cherry tomatoes and some store-bought croutons with lemon zest and olive oil added for a flavorful topping to your steamy bowl.
An Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker makes this soup a simple one-pot wonder in 30 minutes and if you happen to have an immersion blender — pureeing is that much easier because you don’t need to transfer to a blender. I used water in my recipe, but vegetable broth will work beautifully too. I thought I’d keep things healthfully quick to kick-off the New Year and this soup is delicious.
1 shallot, sliced
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 bunch asparagus, ends trimmed and cut into thirds
4 small new potatoes, washed and cut in half
3 cups water or vegetable broth
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup store-bought croutons
1 teaspoons lemon zest
3 tablespoons olive oil + more for cooking
- In an electric pressure cooker, add 2 teaspoons olive oil and shallots. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add salt and onion powder, stir. Cook for 1 minute and add asparagus, stir to incorporate with shallots.
- Add potatoes and water or broth. Cover with lid and cook on high pressure for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine tomatoes, croutons, lemon zest and olive oil.
- Release pressure manually and remove lid. Puree until smooth with an immersion blender or in batches in a standard blender.
- Ladle into bowls and top with tomato croutons. Enjoy!