Salmon is probably one of the most popular fish, and it is best during the summer, when it’s fresh however, you can get a variety fresh-frozen fillets all year long. King Salmon, has some of the richest flavor with a nice buttery texture, so keep an eye out for it in the next few months.
Salmon is one of the easiest fish to cook because of its hearty texture you can turn it more easily on the grill and it absorbs marinade or herbs nicely. I love to grill it on a cedar plank for a nice smoky flavor — you can find wood planks at most hardware or grocery stores.
Marinating the salmon first, for a few hours in a ginger, garlic, soy sauce marinade, enhances the delicate fish and adds such a nice taste. This recipe for Grilled Cedar Plank Salmon is one of my favorites and is delicious served with grilled veggies, or a fresh green salad or slaw. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
1 1/2 pounds salmon fillet
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons, grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
cedar plank, at hardware or grocery stores or online
(Serves 4 )
1. Submerge cedar plank a large casserole dish or sheet pan filled with water. You may need to put a heavy glass on top, so it doesn’t float. Leave the board to soak, for at least 1 hour or until ready to use for grilling.
2. In a small square dish, add soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar.
4. Whisk the mixture together to combine.
5. Coarsely chop the cilantro and add it to the soy mixture.
6. Dip the salmon in the marinade on both sides, then place it skin side up in the marinade. Cover the fish with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours.
7. Heat your gas or charcoal grill to medium/high or 400 degrees, leaving one area with no direct heat (indirect method of grilling). Heat two of the three burners, leaving one off or very low. Take the salmon out of the marinade and place it on the soaked cedar plank.
8. Place the plank on the unheated section of the grill. Close the lid to grill the salmon for 20-25 minutes or until salmon has dark edges and a deep golden color.
9. Remove the plank with oven mitts from the grill and place on a large platter to cool slightly, 5 minutes. Slice and serve the salmon with grilled veggies or other side dishes. Enjoy!