Pork is my favorite meat because it is easy to cook and it is loaded with flavor. Pork Butt or shoulder is nice to roast in the slow cooker because it renders its fat and becomes tender and juicy, which makes it easy to pull or shred, and add to almost any dish.
Mojo is a simple South American sauce that contains orange, lime and lemon juices and pairs nicely with pork – it can hold up to the succulent meat. I like to serve these sandwiches on Ciabatta rolls and top them with a crunchy cabbage slaw for a nice contrast of textures and taste. The citrus tang, along with the creamy white meat has the perfect balance of flavors.
These sandwiches make a nice weeknight meal, but are also pretty fun to serve for a party of any kind. The leftovers can be tossed on top of a salad, added to soup, or stirred into sauteed vegetables, or pasta.
3 pounds pork shoulder roast or pork butt
2 teaspoons cumin, ground
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoon salt + more for seasoning
1 teaspoon pepper + more for seasoning
1/2 bunch of cilantro
4 cloves garlic
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
4-6 Ciabatta rolls, or any variety
1/2 head napa cabbage
1/3 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon anchovy paste, or 2 fillets
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
3 tablespoon rice vinegar
3 tablespoon olive oil + more for cooking
1. Remove pork from any packaging and pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, combine the cumin, onion powder, paprika, salt and pepper, stir. Rub spices all over meat.
2. In a slow cooker insert or large pot, add 2 tablespoons oil and place over medium-high heat. Wait 2 minutes, until oil is lightly smoking and add your pork. Sear on each side for 7 minutes.
3. In a food processor, add cilantro, garlic, shallot and jalapeno. Pulse mixture 15 times. Slice citrus in half and squeeze juices from citrus into cilantro mixture. Pulse again several times to combine, about 8 pulses. Add Worcestershire and vinegar and pulse again 5 times.
4. Pour Mojo sauce over top of pork and cook for 3 minutes, or until sauce starts to bubble around edges. Place insert back into slow cooker and cover. Cook low for 7-8 hours.
5. Finely slice cabbage. In a mixing bowl, combine sour cream, mayonnaise, anchovy paste, mustard and sugar. Whisk dressing together and drizzle in vinegar and olive oil.
6. Toss cabbage with dressing and stir to combine. Salt and pepper slaw to taste and reserve in refrigerator, until pork is ready. Remove pork from cooker, and shred with two forks. Place insert on stove top over medium heat, and reduce Mojo sauce for 3 minutes. Slice rolls in half and spoon some Mojo sauce over top of each roll. Pile shredded pork on top of bun. Spoon a large dollop of slaw on pork. Enjoy!