It’s Saturday, and what better day to bake this luscious fresh strawberry cake with hints of citrus that’s coated in a simple sugar-crunch glaze. I love a good bundt for several reasons. For starters, they are a one-pan wonder that bake into a gorgeous (if I do say so myself) fluted round that stands tall with admiration. There’s no filling needed because the cake is rich, buttery and dense with flavor, and in this case – it’s lemon and flecked with fresh strawberries.
Strawberry season has just begun and for the next few months it will be hard not to pass a farm stand that doesn’t hold a case or two of these ripe beauties. Strawberries when they’re in season, are some of the best tasting fruit with juice that indescribable. The color alone attracts most of us to bite into a berry, but it’s the desserts you can create with these gems that make them so attractive. Strawberry Shortcake is one popular recipe, but I think I’ll wait until summer to actually pull that one together. So in the meantime it’s cake all the way….and this one is perfect for parties, served as dessert, or enjoying with a cup of coffee or tea in the afternoon. Check out my Reel on Instagram @genabellrecipes and see how easy it is to make.
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups granulated sugar
3 large eggs
zest of 1 lemon
juice of 1/2 lemon
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat plain yogurt
1 pint fresh strawberries, diced + more for decorating
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 10-cup bundt pan with cooking spray or rub with butter.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar for 4 minutes. Add eggs and mix on high for 3 minutes.
- Add lemon zest and juice and mix for 1 minute.
- Sift flour, baking soda and salt into butter mixture. On low speed mix together for 30 seconds and add yogurt until combined, about 1 minute.
- Add strawberries and mix by hand until incorporated into batter. Spoon into prepared pan and smooth out on top. Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick or skewer comes clean. Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes, before inverting onto a cake plate or stand.
- In a small bowl, whisk together glaze ingredients. When cake is cool, brush glaze over top and let fall over edges. Fill hole of bundt cake with fresh strawberries, if desired. Enjoy!