It’s still officially summer and I’m not giving up on the luscious stone fruit quite yet. This Fresh Peach Cake is a single layer dessert that’s super easy to make and is dotted with amazing sweet peaches.
Fresh peaches are a summertime favorite and are always enjoyable eaten straight off the pit or skinned, and chopped to add to so many recipes, including cake. During the summer, I don’t usually spend much time creating layered cakes, unless it’s for a family birthday, but instead I tend to bake single layer cakes that are a cinch to put together, and taste wonderful because of the seasonal fruit.
Peaches are one of those things that are so delightful in a vanilla crumb cake and when sprinkled with granulated sugar before baking, it comes out with a slightly crunchy crust. There’s no need for icing or glaze on this cake — it’s delicious just the way it is, but maybe a scoop of vanilla ice cream wouldn’t hurt?
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons for top
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vanilla yogurt or sour cream with 1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups skinned and diced peaches, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and line with parchment a 9-inch cake pan.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a stand mixture or large bowl, cream butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs and continue to mix for 2 minutes.
- Add flour mixture and yogurt and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Add 3/4 of peaches and stir by hand until combined.
- Spoon cake batter into prepared pan and top with remaining peaches. Sprinkle top with sugar and bake in oven for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes mostly clean.
- Remove and let cool 20 minutes before inverting onto a plate, then inverting back onto a cake stand or platter (you want to peaches on top). Slice and serve warm or room temperature. Enjoy!