One of the things I love about summer, it that we can all up our salad game, and this Crispy Chicken and Citrus Salad is so satisfyingly delightful and it tastes of the season.
Crispy Chicken is one of those things that even the little ones love, and this recipe is two-steps above chicken tenders. I like to use gluten-free flour and panko breadcrumbs to give the chicken breasts the right amount of crunch, that holds on for the ride in a shallow fry. The thicker the chicken breasts the better when you are slicing them across the grain, and placing them upon crunchy greens — they just stay a little more moist and tender. I used a few dry seasonings to add to the crumb mixture to give the chicken additional flavor.
As for the greens, I used a mix of shredded kale and broccoli slaw for a substantial punch of healthy vegetables, but feel free to use the greens you enjoy most. Sliced oranges offer a gentle sweetness that contrasts the savory chicken and the deliciously easy grainy mustard vinaigrette. This salad can be prepared ahead of time and assembled before serving. I like mine slightly chilled, but room temperature is probably the fan favorite.
2 half chicken breasts, about 1 pound
2 large eggs
1/2 cup gluten-free flour, or rice flour
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons neutral oil
1 large orange
4 cups shredded kale and broccoli slaw mix, or other greens
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1 teaspoon grainy mustard
pinch of salt and pepper
1/3 cup seasoned rice wine vinegar, or rice wine vinegar + 1 granulated sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
- Whisk eggs in a large flat bowl, set aside. Add gluten-free flour, panko, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper to another large flat bowl and whisk. Remove chicken from packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Dip each breast into egg mixture, then into panko mixture and place on a plate.
- In a large non-stick skillet, add oil and place over medium heat. After 2 minutes, add chicken and cook for 7 minutes. Reduce heat if chicken is browning too fast. Flip and continue to cook the other side for 7-8 minutes. Turn off heat and place chicken on cutting board to rest.
- Slice ends crosswise off orange and lay flat to remove skin. Slice into rounds and set aside (see video). Place greens in a large serving bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk grainy mustard, salt and pepper and rice wine vinegar together. Slowly drizzle in olive oil until emulsified or slightly thickened. Pour vinaigrette over greens and toss with fingertips.
- Slice chicken in 1/2 inch thick pieces across the grain and place on top of salad. Add orange rounds around top of salad and sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Serve and enjoy!