I remember one of the first Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup commercials where a women and a man ran into each other, one having chocolate in their hand, while the other had peanut butter. They both looked at each other and exclaimed, “Your chocolate is in my peanut butter,” and “Your peanut butter is in my chocolate!” I remember thinking, just eat it, it’s probably better that way, and lo and behold that was the point of the whole commercial. These two flavors have been a favorite ever since that introduction, and I’m sure glad.
Creating a chocolate based cookie that’s rich in cocoa is a nice first step in baking a tasty cookie. I prefer to use a darker cocoa powder because it truly makes a difference in taste when you’re highlighting the chocolate. Also, I added dark chocolate chunks to the dough to enhance it even further because they melt gradually in the oven making them extra extra chocolaty.
Peanut butter mixed with brown sugar gives it schmear-ability to top the cookies before baking. Just dollop and press the peanut butter on like you would cream cheese on a bagel. These cookies have a mosaic look, that surely will impress once their out of the oven. They’re tasty with a glass of milk or hot beverage either after school, or for dessert. They also store nicely in a cookie jar for a few days, but I’m sure they probably won’t last that long.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup good cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
3/4 cup light brown sugar + 1 tablespoon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup dark chocolate chunks or chips
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
(Make 1 Dozen)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together butter and 3/4 cup brown sugar for 3 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and add egg. Mix for 1 minute. Add vanilla and mix for 30 seconds.
- Add dry ingredients on low speed, mix for 1 minute. Add chocolate chunks and mix again for 30 seconds.
- In a small bowl, stir together peanut butter and remaining brown sugar.
- Scoop cookies out into balls and top with a teaspoon of peanut butter, pressing slightly and schmearing across top.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Remove and let cool on pan. Enjoy!