Everyone needs a chicken soup recipe to make after a long weekend made with simple ingredients that they can just put together with ease. This Chicken Sausage, Cabbage and Pasta Soup is just that — deliciously simple, heart-warming and packed with tasty things.
As the weekend winds down this soup comes in handy and most of us probably have a half a head of cabbage, some cooked chicken, pork or other meat sausage, and short dried pasta in our pantries this time of year. The joy of making a soup like this is that it’s done in 20 minutes or so, and you have a big pot of steamy goodness to enjoy for dinner.
I like to serve this soup with a big rustic roll, but anything that’s worth dunking into a silky broth that might catch some bits of cabbage on its way in is all you need. The sliced sausage softens in the soup and becomes part of the aromatics, along with a hunk of parmesan rind for flavor. If you don’t have parmesan rinds reserved for soup in your freezer, you can add a couple of tablespoons of grated parmesan cheese to heighten taste.
1 small white onion, diced
1 1/2 teaspoons Italian dried seasoning
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 links cooked chicken sausage, sliced (about 1/2 pound)
1/2 head Chinese or Napa cabbage, sliced
1 quart chicken stock
1 cup short cut pasta – macaroni, penne etc.
1 parmesan rind or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
oil for cooking
- In a large saucepan or stock pot, add 2 teaspoons oil and place over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning, onion powder, salt and red pepper flakes, stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add sausage and stir. Brown sausage slightly on edges, while stirring, about 2 minutes.
- Add cabbage and stock, stir. Turn heat up to high until broth is boiling. Add pasta, 1 cup hot water, and parmesan rind, stir.
- Turn heat to medium-low and cook with lid ajar for 10 minutes.
- Remove lid and parmesan rind. Ladle into bowls. Enjoy!