Most people wait until springtime to start cleaning out their pantries, not me. After the holidays, I start assessing which items I haven’t touched in months and begin to rethink how I’m going to prepare meals using my cooking equipment. My waffle iron mostly sits on the shelf in my house, and in fact, at one time I had three of them hardly being used. Over the years, I have purged them down to just one, but I still find that I need to use my waffle iron more often.
In the past year or so, making waffles out of almost every ingredient has become quite popular, especially on Instagram. I usually don’t fall for most cooking gimmicks because they often don’t work. However, I decided to give my waffle iron a try with some riced cauliflower I had in the refrigerator, and to my surprise, it was not only easy, but delicious.
Mozzarella Cheese helped bind the waffles as they cooked and created a crunchy, chewy and super satisfying breakfast square or circle, if that’s the shape of your waffle iron. I decided to top the crispy waffles with a fried egg to gently drizzle down the edges, but you can top them with almost anything, like an avocado, mixed greens, salsa and beans, or eat them plain like a big cheesy chip. In fact they were so good, I’m planning on making them again soon, and they would make a great Super Bowl Party food.
3 cups riced cauliflower
12 ounces mozzarella cheese, diced small
1/2 cup Parmesan
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat waffle iron to highest temperature. Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except for eggs, stir.
- Add eggs and stir to combine. Spray waffle iron with cooking spray or brush with oil.
- When iron is hot, add cauliflower mixture to iron and spread out over entire surface. Place lid down and cook about 8 minutes, depending upon the size of iron.
- Remove with a fork and place on wire rack on baking sheet. Place baking sheet in oven to keep waffles warm. Repeat with remaining cauliflower. Fry eggs for top, or top with favorite condiments. Enjoy!