Muffins are a delightful breakfast treat to make for everyday meals because they’re relatively easy to put together in a matter of minutes. Fresh berries, like blueberries taste so divine when they are baked into a tender muffin, and adding ricotta cheese to the party makes them even more supple with a divine crumb. Muffins make a nice grab and go breakfast item for kids heading back to school, or tucked into a lunch bag for snack time. I find muffins both so versatile and portable.
Blueberries are my favorite berry and I often pair lemon zest with them in muffin batter. The fresh citrus taste enhances the sweetness of fresh berries and compliments their natural sugars. The combination of ricotta cheese and buttermilk gives these muffins the right lift and texture, creating an outstanding baked good. The ingredients are simple, and yet tend to be things we already have in our refrigerators, which makes them that much easier to throw together in a moments notice.
These muffins also reheat nicely in a low oven, or you can microwave them for 30 seconds, just until barely warm, so you don’t toughen the magnificent crumb. I often bake a dozen and portion them off during the week, which makes breakfast time real simple.
8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon lemon zest
2 large eggs
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
2/3 cup buttermilk or whole milk with 1 teaspoon white vinegar
1/2 pint blueberries
(Makes 1 Dozen)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease muffin pan and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream butter and sugar for 3 minutes. Add lemon zest and mix for 1 minute.
- Add eggs and mix again for 2 minutes, scrape down sides of bowl.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- While mixer is running on low, add 1/3 of dry ingredients, ricotta cheese and buttermilk. Repeat twice more. Add blueberries and stir by hand until incorporated.
- Scoop into muffin pan and bake for 22-24 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and cool for 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!