I love the flavor of buttery rich toffee and in our house, especially around the holidays, my mom stirs up batches of toffee for every person in the family. I was hoping to expand our toffee horizons and include toffee in a baked treat, so we can eat it all year long. I like having toffee in a bar cookie, so it has a little more chew than regular toffee and can be easily sliced and served for dessert.
The base of these bars are graham crackers with a buttery toffee combination of oats, butter and sugar on top. The bars are then coated with a thin layer of chocolate and a sprinkling of nuts for crunch and poof – Oatmeal Toffee Graham Bars! I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do.
12 graham crackers or 1 1/2 packages
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup organic sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 sticks of butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups milk chocolate chips
2/3 cup smoked almonds
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a jelly roll or 15x10x1 inch pan with aluminum foil.
2. Arrange the graham crackers in a single layer in the pan.
3. In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugars and flour. Whisk together to remove any lumps.
4. Add the melted butter and vanilla extract to the oat mixture.
5. Whisk the egg and add it to the oat mixture. Stir the mixture together until combined.
6. Spread the oat mixture across the graham crackers to cover completely.
7. Place the pan in the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
8. Remove the pan from the oven and immediately sprinkle the chocolate chips across the top of the bars. Place the pan back in the oven for 1 1/2 minutes to let the chocolate melt slightly.
9. Remove the pan from the oven and spread the chocolate evenly over the entire surface.
10. Chop the almonds up into coarse pieces and sprinkle them across the top of the chocolate layer.
11. Put the bars in the refrigerator to set for at least 1 hour. Remove and slice into squares, Enjoy!