A mixture of dry spices rubbed over a beautiful steak and seared in a pan is the beginning of these super delicious Blackened Steak and Broccolini Mushroom Bowls. Bowls are a terrific way to get not only a dose of protein, but some healthy vegetables and a satisfying portion of whole grains.
A good steak like a ribeye or new york is what I recommend to create a steak bowl. These meats are slightly higher in price, but when you slice and serve them in multiple portions, the cost balances out with the other ingredients. Brococlini and shiitake mushrooms are a pair made in heaven, especially when stir-fried and seasoned with that same blackened dry rub.
Short grain brown rice brings the bowl together and offers a textural chew that adds excitement to each and every bite. A squeeze of Sriracha is necessary for a touch of tang, and a little lemon or lime juice adds freshness.
16 ounce ribeye or new york steak
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup short grain brown rice
1 pound broccolini, cut into long florets
8 ounces Shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon butter
neutral oil for cooking
1 lemon, cut in half and wedges
salt for cooking
- Boil 2 cups of water and add rice, cook for 30 minutes or until al dente and steamed beautifully.
- In a small bowl, combine onion powder, salt, pepper, paprika, and cumin. Sprinkle 1/3 of seasoning on both sides of steak with seasoning, leave remaining in bowl to season vegetables as you cook. Let steak rest for 20 minutes before cooking.
- In an iron skillet over high heat, add butter and 1 teaspoon of oil. When butter is melted, add steak and sear for 5-6 minutes, or until dark golden brown (blackened), flip and continue to cook for 5-8 minutes, to achieve rare to medium-rare.
- Remove from pan and place on cutting board to rest. Drain oil from pan and wipe clean.
- Add 2 teaspoons oil to pan and place over medium heat. Add mushrooms and stir. Season with 1/3 of spice mixture and cook for 3 minutes, add broccolini and stir.
- Season with remaining seasoning and squeeze with 1/2 lemon, stir. Continue to cook for 2 mintues and add 1/2 cup hot water. Continue to cook for 3 minutes, or until al dente.
- Slice steak and begin to create bowls. Spoon rice into bowls first, layer in steak and then vegetables.
- Serve with lemon wedge and a big squeeze of Sriracha, if desired. Enjoy!