The comforting smell of cinnamon and apples baking in the oven is just heaven, especially around the holiday season. If you are looking for a great dessert that feeds a large group, Apple Crisp for a Crowd is perfect. The apples cook down to a luscious creamy texture and the delightful crunchy oat topping adds great contrast.
This recipe is relatively simple to create, you just need a few helpers to peel and core apples, so the baking can begin. You can serve this warm out of the oven or at room temperature and top with a dollop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, yum.
20 apples, I used Gala
1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
3 tablespoons cornstarch
2/3 cup brown sugar
butter for dish
whipped cream, optional
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 sticks cold butter, diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Peel and corn the apples. Slice them into 1/4 inch wedges.
2. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, cornstarch and brown sugar. Toss the apples to combine the flavors and pour into a butter 6 quart casserole dish.
3. Next, to make the topping, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and using a pastry blender or your fingers, combine the mixture, until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Place the crumb topping on top of the apples and set the casserole dish on a sheet pan. Bake in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes, or until the topping is deep golden brown.
5. Remove the Apple Crisp for a Crowd from the oven and let cool for at least an hour before serving. I like to serve mine with a dollop of freshly whipped cream. Enjoy!