Over the summer we had a great trip to Ontario Canada, where we visited our friends at Lake Rosseau. We had the pleasure of meeting and enjoying the company of our friends parents, Sam & Bud Webster, who live at the lake, five months of the year. During our stay, Bud made his famous Tomato-Gin Soup Recipe, which as I recall, originated from the Four Season’s Hotel in Toronto many years ago.
This soup recipe is a combination of fresh tomatoes and tomato sauce, along with diced onions and mushrooms, to add texture. The kick in the soup is of course, gin, which gives it a slight juniper flavor and heightens the aromatics. This Tomato Gin Soup is perfect on cooler evenings, along with some rustic bread and a nice glass of Pinot Noir. Also, it would be great as a starter for a dinner party – thanks Bud!
5 slices bacon
3 large tomato, seeds removed
1 pint Crimini mushrooms
1 red onion
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
28 ounces tomato sauce
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 cup gin
salt & pepper
1. In a large deep skillet, brown bacon. Drain excess grease, leaving 2 tablespoons in the skillet. Crumble bacon and set aside.
2. Dice the tomatoes, onion and mushrooms. In the skillet with the drippings over medium heat, add the onion and mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes or until softened.
3. Then, add the Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and stir. Continue cooking for 2 minutes.
5. Pour in the tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water, 1 tablespoon brown sugar and the gin and stir to combine. Salt and pepper the soup to taste and simmer the soup for 20 minutes or until the flavors meld together.
6. Ladle the soup into bowls and sprinkle with the crispy bacon. Enjoy!
[…] Bud’s Tomato-Gin Soup – Recipe! […]