I used to cook for private clients a few years back and deliver freshly cooked meals to their homes nightly. Turkey Meatloaf Night was a big hit and I was always swamped with orders — probably because it’s true comfort food. Meatloaf for me brings back childhood memories of enjoying a nice meal with my family and catching up on events in our lives.
What makes this recipe so special is that turkey meatloaf tends to be a little lighter in texture, than meatloaf made with beef or pork and the slightly spicy tomato glaze provides a little sweet heat, that adds a kick without being too overpowering. I just love this recipe and I hope you and your family will too.
2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
2 teaspoons fennel seed
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 cup instant oatmeal
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Dice the onion and add it to a medium saucepan with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute the onion for 3 minutes over medium heat.
2. Next, add the ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha sauce, vinegar and brown sugar to the onion mixture and continue to cook for 5 minutes while stirring occasionally. Remove the sauce from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, add the turkey, fennel, oatmeal, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and onion powder.
4. Then, add half the sauce to the turkey mixture and using your hands, gently mix together to combine.
5. Form the turkey mixture into a loaf shape and place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Spread the other half of the sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
6. Place the meatloaf in the oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn the heat up to 425 and continue to bake for 5 more minutes or until the edges of the meatloaf are dark golden brown. Remove meatloaf from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes then, transfer the meatloaf to a cutting board.
7. Slice the meatloaf into 1-inch thick slices. Serve the Turkey Meatloaf with Spicy Tomato Glaze over cauliflower puree or whipped potatoes. Enjoy!