I used to cook for private clients a few years back and deliver fresh meals to their homes nightly. Turkey Meatloaf Night was a big hit and I was always swamped with orders. Meatloaf is true comfort food and it brings me back to my childhood dining with my siblings at the dinner table.
This Turkey Meatloaf with Spicy Tomato Glaze is super special because of its light texture – much different compared to meatloaf made with beef or pork. The glaze is cooked on the stove top and half is mixed into the meat to add a little extra flavor. The rest of the slightly spicy sauce is spread on top of the meatloaf.
I think you will really enjoy this recipe and it makes great sandwiches the next day too. Just slice the chilled meatloaf and place it between two whole grain pieces of bread with a little mayo. How great are meatloaf memories?
2 1/2 pounds ground turkey
2 teaspoons fennel seed
2 teaspoons onion powder
1/2 cup instant oatmeal
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Dice onion and place in skillet with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Saute the onion for 3 minutes over medium heat.
2. Next, add ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, Sriracha sauce, vinegar and brown sugar to onion mixture and continue to cook for 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Remove the sauce from the heat and let cool for 10 minutes.
3. In a large bowl, add the turkey, fennel, oatmeal, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon pepper and onion powder. Add half of sauce to turkey mixture and gently mix to combine.
4. Form turkey into a loaf shape and place on a silpat or parchment lined baking sheet. Spread the other half of the sauce over the top of the meatloaf.
5. Place meatloaf in oven and bake for 1 hour. Increase heat to 425 and continue to bake for 5 more minutes or until the edges of the meatloaf are dark golden brown. Remove meatloaf from oven and let rest for 10 minutes then, transfer meatloaf to a cutting board. Slice the meatloaf into 1-inch thick slices. Serve Turkey Meatloaf with Spicy Tomato Glaze over cauliflower puree or whipped potatoes. Enjoy!