Lemon Meringue Pie has always been a family favorite, and I wanted to duplicate the flavors, but in cake form with these Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes. Our family has an inside joke (not so inside anymore) about lemon desserts – we say, “Not Da Lemon” when the lemon dessert is served, because we have so many lemon lovers at our gatherings.
These Lemon Meringue Pie Cupcakes have light lemony flavors with a refreshingly creamy frosting swirled on the top. If you happen to be into cake decorating, Sphere Ball Tips are super cool and easy to use, and make your cupcakes look like a professional. These tips make great decorating fun, especially with the kids and cake lovers of the family.
Cupcakes are the perfect portable treat and are fun for birthdays, holidays and tea time with the ladies. So, whip up a batch and enjoy the lemon experience.
3/4 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup granulated sugar
zest of 2 lemons
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
3 cups confectioner’s sugar
1 cup butter, room temperature
juice of 1 lemon
8 ounces marshmallow creme
white pearl candies or sprinkles, optional
(Makes 1 Dozen Cupcakes)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place cupcake liners in muffin pan. In a large bowl, sift together flours, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a stand mixer, on low speed mix together sugar and lemon zest for 1 minute.
2. Add the sugar and mix for 2 minutes on high speed, then add the eggs to the sugar mixture, and mix on high speed for 2 minutes. In a measuring cup, mix together the buttermilk and lemon juice. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture, and 1/3 of the buttermilk mixture – mix on low speed for 30 seconds. Repeat twice and mix on low until combined.
3. Scoop cupcake batter into each cup, filling 2/3 full. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until puffed and light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool in pan for 15 minutes. Remove and place on a serving platter until room temperature, about 1 hour.
4. In a stand mixer or large bowl, mix confectioners sugar on low for 2 minutes. Dice butter and add to the sugar, mix for 1 minute. Squeeze in the lemon juice and mix on medium speed until smooth, about 2 minutes. Spoon in the Marshmallow Cream and mix on low speed, until combined and the frosting is smooth.
5. Frost the cupcakes with a pastry bag and tips or with a knife for a rustic look. Decorate with pearl candies or other white sprinkles. Enjoy!