This is my second Instant Pot recipe and I think you are going to fall in love with how easy it is to make carnitas. I love homemade Mexican Food and carnitas are usually my meat of choice in this category. If you don’t have an Instant Pot you don’t know how much time you are saving making slow roasted meats and grains. This Instant Pot Carnitas Recipe can be made in a little over an hour from start to finish and tastes as if it took half a day to prepare.
Simply rub the pork roast with dry herbs and cook for 1 hour in the Instant Pot, then shred and sear in the pot for outstanding meaty texture and authentic flavors that are out of this world. The savory strands of pork just melt in your mouth and are super delicate rolled inside a tortilla or on top of mixed greens.
I think your family will love this dish and will definitely come back for seconds. This recipe should make enough to have a little leftover the next day, which heats up nicely in the microwave or can be tossed in chili for another delicious meal.
2 1/2 pound boneless pork shoulder
2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 limes, sliced in half
fresh cilantro leaves
shredded jack cheese, optional
shredded lettuce, optional
Rub with Herbs and Cook!
Remove from Instant Pot and Separate Meat from Juices!
Shred and Sear in Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Carnitas – Recipe!
1. Remove pork from packaging and rub with dry herbs, salt and pepper.
2. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil in Instant Pot and place pork inside. Seal lid and place nozzle on Sealing setting.
3. Set to Manual 60 minutes and cook. After cooking, let the pot depressurize for 5 minutes, then move nozzle to release setting. Wait 2 minutes, then turn lid to open.
4. Remove pork from pot and pour juices into a measuring cup. Set to Saute and add 1 tablespoon oil to Instant Pot.
5. Shred meat and add it to Instant Pot. Sear for 5 minutes and pour in 1/4 cup juices, scraping bits from bottom of pot and incorporating into meat. Repeat twice more.
6. Remove meat from Instant Pot and squeeze with juice of 1 lime. Serve Carnitas with lime wedges, tortillas, cheese, cilantro and salsa. Enjoy!