It’s the start of a new week and I have shrimp on my mind. It’s probably because shrimp are such a light and healthy protein that can be added to all kinds of meals like pastas, sandwiches, and salads, and most of us have a bag in our freezers. Poaching shrimp are a great way to enjoy them, but I just love them seared crispy with a hint of spice to add warm on top of a mixture of greens.
A simple blend of fresh cabbage and lettuce make the perfect bed for hot shrimp to rest upon and the heat from the seafood wilts the salad slightly, creating a most delightful environment. The cool and creamy addition of avocado makes a beautiful textural experience and fresh basil adds a floral aroma that awakens your senses.
You can make this entire meal ahead of time and serve it at room temperature, or eat it hot of the stove top and enjoy it within 10 minutes time. A glass of rose or sparkling wine always pairs so nicely with this meal.
1/2 head cabbage
1/4 head Iceberg lettuce
3/4 pound large shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 tablespoon rice flour or gluten-free flour
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
8 basil leaves
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
pinch of salt & pepper
1/3 cup olive oil
1. Thinly slice cabbage and lettuce and toss it into a large serving bowl.
2. In a small bowl, combine rice flour, onion powder, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine, and toss in shrimp.
3. In a sauté pan, add 2 tablespoons oil and place over medium-high heat. After a minute, add shrimp and cook for 3 minutes or until slightly browned. Flip over and continue to cook 3 minutes. Squeeze lime over top of shrimp.
4. Pour shrimp over cabbage mixture. Slice avocado and place on top of salad, along with the fresh basil leaves.
5. In a jar with fitted lid, add all vinaigrette ingredients. Shake 1 minute, until thickened. Spoon vinaigrette over top of salad and serve. Enjoy!