Tacos Dorados are crispy tacos that are sometimes rolled like a taquito, but often fried and filled like a regular soft-taco. Crispy Tacos have been apart of my families food culture since I was a kid. Even though I am not of Mexican heritage, my Grandma Bell always prepared crispy tacos on Christmas Eve. Her tacos were simply filled with ground beef and topped with salsa, guacamole and cheese, but these days I have learned a few new tricks to making Tacos Dorados even better.
Using dark ground turkey is a nice substitute for beef, especially if you are looking to change up your taco recipe a bit. Also, adding ground spices like chili powder, paprika, cumin and onion powder lift flavor and create an instant spice mix without having to add one of those purchased taco seasonings.
Frying these filled tacos is a new taco technique in my kitchen, instead of frying each shell individually then filling. You can create batches at a faster rate, while the filling stays soft and ready to eat. Topping tacos is all about preference, but I like to stick to tradition here and go with freshly shredded lettuce, tomatoes, more cheese and salsa.
1 pound dark ground turkey
1 small white onion
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
12 corn tortillas
2 cups shredded lettuce
1 tomato, diced
(Makes 12 Tacos)
- Preheat oven to 375 degree. In a skillet over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons oil and onion. Saute for 3 minutes and add cumin, chili powder, onion powder and salt, stir. Cook for 1 minute and add tomato paste, stir. Cook for 1 minute and add ground turkey, stir.
- Continue to cook meat mixture for 5 minutes or until golden brown. Add 1 cup of cheese and stir. Remove skillet from heat.
- Brush tortillas with vegetable oil on both sides and arrange on a rack on top of a sheet pan. Bake in oven for 4 minutes, remove. Lower oven heat to 200 degrees.
- Fill each taco with 2 tablespoons meat mixture and set aside. Fry 4-6 tacos at a time in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil until dark crispy brown, place on sheet pan and keep warm in oven until all tacos are cooked.
- Top tacos with lettuce, tomatoes, more cheese and salsa, Enjoy!