Sweet summer tomatoes sandwiched between melty cheese and toasty rustic bread – there’s nothing better than a Tomato Grilled Cheese.
Tomato season is here and if you’re not taking advantage — what are you waiting for?! These luscious beauties are so sweet right now and I love them in almost any recipe, especially sandwiches. Adding tomatoes to a classic like grilled cheese makes them that more delicious. Butter is your friend when it comes to a grilled cheese, so butter the insides of the bread, load one half with slices of cheese, tomatoes and more cheese. Pop the lid on top and toast it all up in a buttery pan.
I love a good sandwich and this one is my summertime favorite. So, go ahead and make a few this upcoming weekend for brunch, lunch or dinner. They’re delicious with a mixed green salad or fresh basil leaves. Enjoy!
1/2 rustic loaf of bread
8 ounces pepper jack cheese, or other favorite
2 large tomatoes
2 tablespoons butter, divided
basil leaves, optional
- Slice bread into 1/2 inch thick pieces. Shave cheese as thin as you can with a good knife. Slice tomatoes into 1/8 inch slices.
- Spread 1 teaspoon butter over two slices of bread. Repeat with other slices.
- Build sandwiches on buttered side of bread – cheese, tomatoes, cheese. Place lid on top.
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to non-stick pan over medium heat. Swirl to melt butter.
- Add sandwich(es) and toast on first side for 3 minutes, using lid to help melt cheese.
- Flip and repeat. Remove and slice in half. Serve with basil. Enjoy!