We’re starting to move into salad season, as if it ever goes away in Southern California. Good salads are a staple in my diet and I love a warm protein and vegetables over fresh bright greens like this Sheet Pan Crispy Salmon and Artichoke Salad. It’s a sheet pan meal that’s easy to prepare and so tasty for lunch or dinner.
Making salmon crispy in the oven is all about panko breadcrumbs. They give both the salmon and artichokes a crunch after baking that’s difficult to achieve without them. A dusting of some dried spices first, provides the right amount of flavor to heighten the experience with smoky notes from paprika. I enjoy the combination of salmon and artichokes because the naturally fatty fish is creamy and decadent, while the artichokes provide earthiness and a slight acidity.
The entire meal is done in less than 30 minutes and I served it on freshly washed greens from my garden. Any greens will work, but try and find something spring-like to keep the dish light and fresh tasting.
1 1/4 pounds fresh salmon, cut into 4 fillets
12 ounces artichoke hearts, drained or defrosted
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
4 cups lettuce, any variety
olive oil for cooking
1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove salmon from any packaging and pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle sheet pan with oil and place salmon and artichokes on top.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, salt, onion power and pepper, stir. Sprinkle salmon and artichokes with seasoning.
- Top salmon with panko and sprinkle remaining over artichokes. Bake in oven for 18-22 minutes, depending upon thickness of salmon.
- Remove from oven. Place lettuce on serving plates and drizzle with oil. Top with salmon fillets and spoonful of artichokes. Spritz the top with lemon and serve remaining lemon wedges on side. Enjoy!