Oatmeal has always been a favorite for breakfast in many families, but sometimes it’s nice to change it up and make your oatmeal savory instead of sweet. By adding olive oil and a little parmesan cheese, oats taste more like breakfast risotto, but with a nicer chew.
This recipe is as simple as making stone-ground or steel-cut oats and topping them with some other breakfast favorites like fried eggs, hot sauce and a freshly cut cilantro. It’s a nicer way to start your day!
1 cup stone-ground oats or steel-cut oats, I like Anson Mills
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
cilantro or parsley, optional
hot sauce, optional
1. In a stockpot over medium high heat add 2 1/4 cups of water. When the water is boiling, add a pinch of salt and the oats. Turn the heat down to simmer, cover and cook the oats for 30-40 minutes.
2. When the oats are done, add three tablespoons of olive oil and parmesan cheese. Stir the oats to combine and cover with the lid. Set aside while preparing the eggs.
3. In a skillet, add butter or more olive oil and turn the heat to medium. After 2 minutes, crack the eggs in the skillet. Cook for 3 minutes and then add a splash of water to the pan and cover to steam for 1 minute or until done to your likeness.
4. Spoon the Oats into 2-4 bowls.
5. Layer the eggs on top of each bowl and add salt and pepper.
6. Rough chop fresh cilantro or parsley.
7. Sprinkle the cilantro on top of each egg.
8. Add a few dashes of your favorite hot sauce or salsa and Enjoy!