Christmas morning will look a little differently this year, maybe not a large family gathering, but Santa is still coming to town. Breakfast or brunch while opening gifts is always a part of a good holiday, and enjoying a freshly baked treat in your pajamas makes it more festive. Since were scaling down our get-togethers, I thought a cheerful muffin recipe that is filled with seasonal flavors like pears and cardamom would fit the bill.
Making muffins is simple enough and you can always prepare the batter, while the coffee is brewing, quick and easy. A basic muffin batter, but this time flecked with a bit of wheat flour for a rustic taste, works with warming spices. The pears, juicy and flavorful are beautiful with cardamom, a fragrance that heightens the pleasure and compliments the fruit.
This Christmas your family will be pleasantly nibbling away, while opening gifts, even if it just might be the two of you. Let’s celebrate the joys of the season and look forward to a prosperous New Year.
1 cup whole wheat or whole white wheat flour
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, room temperature
2/3 cup light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar + more for sprinkling
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
2 large eggs
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 large pear, diced – any variety
(Makes 12 Muffins)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (375 degrees convection). Spray muffins pan with cooking oil, set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together butter and sugars for 3 minutes. Add vanilla and cardamom, beat for 1 minute. Add eggs and continue to mix on high for 2 minutes.
- Add buttermilk, while mixer in running on low speed. Remove bowl and stir pears in by hand. Scoop batter into prepared pan and sprinkle tops with sugar, about 1/4 teaspoon each.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove and let cool for 8 minutes before removing muffins from pan. Enjoy!