Baking a cake requires staple ingredients that most of us are familiar with and have on hand in our pantries. Olive Oil, a zesty full flavored oil, can add some interesting charm to a basic cake. I have made a few olive oil cakes before, but this one is special, it’s moist with a delicate crumb, and the texture is light and fluffy. I think it’s because I used a combination of olive oil and butter, which gives it the right consistency.
Peach season is almost over and so is summer, but I think you can still conjure up a few stone-fruit at your local grocers. Warming fresh peaches in a simple syrup with a splash of Amaretto isn’t a bad thing, in fact it’s delicious, especially alongside a slice of this olive oil cake.
The combination is divine and a nice finish to a meal. But, I think this cake would be great anytime of day, including breakfast, because it’s light and refreshing – it would go great with a hot cup of coffee.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup olive oil
7 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 large peaches
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Amaretto
- Butter and flour 10-inch springform pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. In a large measuring cup, add olive oil, butter and buttermilk, whisk.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients into egg mixture, alternating with wet ingredients until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean. Remove and let cool to room temperature. Remove cake from pan and dust with powdered sugar.
- Slice peaches and set aside. In a saucepan, add sugar, water and Amaretto. When simmering, add peaches and let cook for 3 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest in syrup, until ready to serve. Slice cake and serve with spoonful of peach compote. Enjoy!