Baking a cake requires staple ingredients that most of us are familiar with and have on hand in our pantries. Olive Oil, a zesty full flavored oil, can add some interesting charm to a basic cake. I have made several olive oil cakes, including my Olive Oil Cake with Blackberry Compote, but this recipe is slightly different with it’s moist and delicate crumb, and the peachy compote on the side. The consistency of this cake is more tender and I think it’s because I used a combination of olive oil and butter, which give it the right balance.
Peach season is here with the start of summer, and it will just get better and better over the next several months. Warming fresh peaches in a simple syrup with a splash of Amaretto isn’t a bad thing, in fact it’s delicious, especially alongside a slice of this olive oil cake. The combination of flavors will gently rock your world and create a nice ending to any meal. Also, I think this cake would be great anytime of day, including breakfast, because it’s light and refreshing and pairs nicely with a hot cup of coffee.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup olive oil
7 tablespoons butter, melted
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup powdered sugar
3 large peaches
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup Amaretto
- Butter and flour 10-inch Springform pan, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder and salt, set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until thick and creamy, about 4 minutes. In a large measuring cup, add olive oil, butter and buttermilk, whisk.
- On low speed, add dry ingredients into egg mixture, alternating with wet ingredients until incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until toothpick comes clean. Remove and let cool to room temperature. Remove cake from pan and dust with powdered sugar.
- Slice peaches and set aside. In a saucepan, add sugar, water and Amaretto. When simmering, add peaches and let cook for 3 minutes. Turn off heat and let rest in syrup, until ready to serve. Slice cake and serve with spoonful of peach compote. Enjoy!