Over the holiday weekend, you might be looking for some small bites to enjoy while sipping on your favorite beverage. These Lemon Ricotta Crostini with Asparagus and Pancetta are super easy to put together and pair beautifully with any meal, whether it’s Easter brunch, or dinner in the evening.
Crostini are one of those things that taste so delicious because they are usually piled high with all sorts of your favorite things. During the spring months, asparagus are as fresh as can be and make a great topper for fresh creamy ricotta flecked with lemon zest, and topped with crispy pancetta. A par-baked baguette or one that is on the soft side makes the perfect canvas to create these one-bite wonders because they toast up beautifully under the broiler. Ricotta cheese, poached asparagus and crispy pancetta are the next three toppings that make these crostini taste so darn good.
I love to serve them with champagne or sparkling water with lemon for a fun and refreshing start to any good gathering. You could also pile these crostini on top of mixed greens for a early-afternoon salad with the ladies — I like to think of them as a versatile food for any meal.
1 medium par-baked baguette, or soft French loaf
3 ounces pancetta, finely diced
1/2 bunch asparagus, cut into quarters – ends trimmed
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
zest of lemon, divided
pinch of salt and pepper
olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat broiler. Slice baguette into 1-inch thick slices. Place on a sheet pan and drizzle tops with olive oil.
- Broil bread for 3-4 minutes on first side, flip and broil second side for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a sauté pan over medium heat, add pancetta and cook until crispy, about 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add asparagus to same pan and sauté for 3 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of water and cover pan with lid. Cook for 3-4 minutes until al dente. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, stir together ricotta, zest of 1/2 lemon and pinch of salt and pepper. Top crostini with 1 heaping teaspoonful of ricotta mixture.
- Place 3 asparagus segments on top of ricotta and top with dollop of crispy pancetta. Repeat until all crostini are complete. Zest 1/2 lemon over top of crostini. Serve and enjoy!