Who doesn’t love Downton Abbey? I found myself getting addicted to it several years ago while on vacation and I have been an avid fan since. While in Burgundy this past September, the first Downton Abbey of this season was starting, so I obviously stayed up to watch it, as opposed to waiting for our season premiere in January.
I love the dry British humor and Maggie Smith cracks me up. I also love the kitchen scenes and all the preparation of food for each meal. I thought I would make trifle to eat while watching Downton Abbey with my neighbors. This is a great lemony dessert with a hint of brandy — oh my.
3 large eggs, room temperature
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
4 tablespoons butter, diced cold
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 package dried lady fingers, sold in gourmet stores
1/2 cup brandy, optional
1/2 pint fresh raspberries
1. In a small saucepan, combine the eggs, lemon juice and sugar. Heat over low heat while continuously stirring.
2. The mixture will get thick as you stir, about 5-8 minutes.
3. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the butter until smooth.
4. Next, pour the lemon curd into a clean bowl and let it cool for 5 minutes. Cover the curd with plastic wrap placed directly on the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Put the lemon curd in the refrigerator to chill for at least 2 hours.
5. Whip the heavy cream until soft peaks form.
6. Remove the curd from the refrigerator and fold in half the whipped cream.
7. Dip the ladyfingers into the brandy for 3 seconds in batches. Place the ladyfingers in the glasses to start the layering of the trifle. You may need to break the cookies to fit. Continue with a dollop of lemon curd on top, followed by 3 raspberries and then more ladyfingers. Finish with a dollop of whipped cream and more fresh raspberries, enjoy!
Oh my goodness! This looks amazing! Yum!