I just spotted my first pears of the season on my tree in my backyard and at the local farmer’s market. Here is a great recipe that is not too sweet and nutty delicious that uses minimal flour and bakes up nicely. This Hazelnut Pear Cake is delicious for breakfast, tea time or anytime, for that matter.
1 cup hazelnuts, lightly toasted
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1 stick butter, room temperature
2/3 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
3 large Anjou pears, or any variety, sliced 1/8 inch with skin on
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon cinnamon
(Makes 1 -9 inch springform cake)
1. Lightly oil a 9-inch springform pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a food processor combine hazelnuts and flour until finely ground. Next, add brown sugar and pulse until combine.
3. Add in eggs and extract and pulse until smooth.
4. Pour mixture into pan and spread evenly. Next, toss pears with sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon and place on top of batter in a fan shape around the entire cake.
5. Bake for 30 minutes and remove from oven. Let cool 30 minutes and slice. This cake is great with light whipped cream too. Enjoy!