My yard is filling up with tomatoes as we speak and during the summer months I do a lot of preserving. This year I planted some heirloom Tiger Stripe Green Tomatoes that are lovely to look at and lusciously sweet. I love the darker bold stripes mixed with the lime green base, they make me happy just to gaze at when I am gardening.
As for flavor, Tiger Stripe Green Tomatoes are mild and super juicy and they are great on sandwiches and salads. These tomatoes also make the perfect jam because of the neutral taste, you can incorporate other dried herbs and spices and end up with a decadent spread to use on bread or cheese. This would make the perfect Christmas spread because of the color, but I doubt it will last that long in your freezer.
2 pounds Tiger Stripe Green Tomatoes
1/2 cup organic sugar
1 teaspoon dried coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried cloves
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
juice of 1 lemon
(makes 2 – 8 ounce jars)
1. Wash and dry your Tiger Stripe Green Tomatoes or other green tomatoes.
2. Dice your tomatoes up into chunks.
3. Place the tomatoes, sugar, coriander, cloves, red pepper flakes, cinnamon stick, salt and pepper into a large pot over medium high heat.
3. Add the lemon juice and let the mixture come to a low boil, about 7 minutes.
4. Stir the jam occasionally and turn the heat down to medium and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
5. During the 30 minutes, skim some green foam off the top, just a few tablespoons as necessary.
6. Turn the heat off and let the jam cool for 30 minutes. Remove the cinnamon stick.
7. The jam should look thick and dark green in color.
8. Ladle the jam into glass jars to store in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks (you can water bath and process for longer storage as well), or use these incredibly cool plastic freezer jars and store in the freezer for up to 6 months. You can find these freezer jars at most hardware stores. Enjoy!