I love a good potato salad with grilled foods. In fact, one of my favorite things to serve is cold potato salad, alongside a seared piece of hot salmon. I learned to enjoy this unique combination from a restaurant in Portland Oregon many years ago, and I stole the idea, and took it home to duplicate at mealtime. There’s something so satisfying about casual hot and cold foods served together, that’s probably why an old-fashioned barbecue on a holiday weekend, sounds so good about now. I can’t wait to enjoy each and every mouthful around my family and friends this year.
I thought my potato salad could use a fun update this year, even though I do love my perfect potato salad recipe here on my blog. A fresh bunch of green beans caught my eye as I was strolling through my local farmer’s market this weekend, and I knew I had to grab a bunch, and turn them into something magical. Well, here it is….a potato salad with lots of freshly blanched green beans in a super tasty vinaigrette. Pancetta is one of those foods that makes everything taste better. So, I put it in a pan and cooked it until almost crispy, and then began my process of creating a dressing to toss with my boiled and cooled potatoes and green beans.
I served this salad cold, but you could also go with room temperature. Even though the vinaigrette is made hot in pan, after it’s poured over the top of the salad, it loses its heat quickly and the vegetables begin to absorb its flavors. After a few hours in the refrigerator the flavors meld together and get even better. I hope you love it like I do.
5 medium russet potatoes
2 1/2 cups haricot vert or fresh green beans
4 ounces diced pancetta
2 heaping teaspoons grainy mustard or old style
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup good olive oil
2 scallions minced, divided
2 tablespoons minced fresh dill, divided
salt & pepper
- Boil potatoes until fork tender, drain and cool to room temperature. Can be done 1 day ahead.
- Blanch green beans in salted boiling water for 4 minutes, drain and place in an ice bath to cool. Drain and pat dry.
- Peel and dice potatoes, and trim ends from green beans and cut in half. Place in large bowl.
- In a skillet over medium heat, add pancetta and sauté for 4 minutes, until almost crispy. Add mustard, vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and sugar, stir. Cook for 1 minute and add oil, stir. Remove from heat.
- Pour vinaigrette over top of potatoes and green beans, toss. Add all, but 1 teaspoon scallions and dill to potatoes, toss again. Season with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sprinkle remaining scallions and dill on top. Refrigerate for a couple hours or serve room temperature. Enjoy!