Fresh corn season is right now and there isn’t anything better than a Cheesy Corncake packed with not one, but two kinds of cheese for outrageous flavor.
Cutting fresh corn from the cob is super easy to do, especially on an inverted bowl inside another larger bowl. Each and every kernel is naturally sweet and when combined in a corncake that has Havarti and Swiss cheese it becomes melt-in-your mouth good. The batter consists of flour, cornmeal, baking powder, a bit of sugar and salt, but the true stars are the cheese and corn combination.
I fried them up in a skillet with a pat of brown butter, which pairs so nicely with the Swiss cheese – both have a nuttiness that’s irresistible. The crust on these corncakes is super crispy, while the center stays warm and tender. When you bite into a corncake the first thing that comes to mind is — deliciousness, as the melted cheese stretches into your mouth.
I think they make a perfect appetizer with wine or cocktails, and they could be served over greens for a festive salad this season. Both these cheeses are available at your local Albertson’s grocery.
2 fresh ears of corn
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornmeal
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup Ammerlander Havarti cheese
3/4 cup Ammerlander Swiss cheese
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 lemon or lime
1/3 cup fresh cilantro or parsley, chopped
- In a large bowl with a small bowl inverted inside, cut corn off the cob (see video). Remove small bowl.
- Add flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder. Add egg and milk and stir until combined.
- Grate both cheeses and add them to bowl. Stir until until combined.
- In a large non-stick skillet add butter and place over medium heat. When butter begins to melt, swirl it around pan and allow it to brown slightly.
- Dollop corncakes into skillet by 1/4 cupful – about 4 per pan. After 3-4 minutes, flip over and brown remaining side.
- Remove corncakes from skillet and place on serving board. Repeat with remaining batter. Squeeze lemon juice over top and sprinkle with fresh cilantro. Serve immediately. Enjoy!