Breakfast and brunch are a holiday tradition and when guests start to arrive, mealtime becomes even more special. This Brussels Sprout and Chicken Sausage Hash is delicious, simple to prepare and impressive.
A good skillet and you’re off to the races with this hash recipe. Freshly sliced Brussels sprouts and a shallot sauteed in a hot pan are the base of this dish, however sliced chicken sausage adds protein, and another layer of flavor to create a hardier meal that really satisfies hunger.
A few sunny side up eggs complete the skillet and serve up beautifully with some toasted country bread for dipping. I also added sliced avocado for a California flair on a wintertime hash. You could also enjoy this dish for dinnertime as well — it’s delightful anytime of the day or night.
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups sliced Brussels sprouts
1 shallot, sliced
2 cooked Italian sausages, diced
4 large eggs
salt and pepper
1 avocado, sliced
rustic toasted bread for serving, optional
- In a large skillet add butter and olive oil and place skillet over medium heat. Add Brussels sprouts and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Add shallot and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cooked sausage and stir. Cook for 3 minutes and press Brussels sprout mixture evenly in pan.
- Crack eggs over top and add 1/3 cup warm water. Place lid on top of pan. Steam eggs for 3-5 mintues, depending upon how you enjoy your eggs.
- Remove lid and add sliced avocado around edges. Sprinkle top with salt and pepper. Serve warm with toasted bread. Enjoy!