I wait all year to taste the sweet and tangy flavors of watermelon and tomatoes. I think naturally sweet watermelon highlights the slightly citrus taste of fresh tomatoes and when tossed together, it’s heaven. I just saw the beginning of sweet corn season at the farmers market this weekend and I thought to toss it in with the watermelon and tomatoes. The combination of fresh summer produce in this salad is so delightful, I could eat the whole bowl.
This recipe is perfect all on its own, but it does go nicely with some grilled fish or meat. Just remember if you make this recipe ahead of time, add the tomatoes just before serving, because they can get a little mealy if held in the refrigerator. Happy Summer!
3 cups cubed watermelon
3 ears fresh corn, shucked and rinsed
3 ounces Pecorino cheese, finely diced
3 cups arugula
2 Heirloom tomatoes, any variety
1/4 cup white balsamic or other white vinegar
1 teaspoon honey or agave nectar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil + more for cooking
1. Heat a grill or grill pan on the stove over medium heat. Toss the corn in olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper. Place the corn on the grill to cook for 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Remove from the grill and let cool. In the meantime, prepare the vinaigrette – in a small jar with a sealable lid, add the vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake until combined, then drizzle in the olive oil and shake again until slightly thickened, about 30 seconds.
2. Place the cubed watermelon in a bowl. Cut the cooled corn off the cob and add it to the bowl with the watermelon.
3. Then, add the Pecorino cheese and the arugula to the bowl. Slice the tomatoes into wedges and add to the bowl.
4. Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and toss gently.
5. Serve the salad immediately. Enjoy!