Turkey sausage is a nice addition to any biscuit. For brunch on the weekends, when you are craving something decadent, but still want to keep it light and fresh, turkey is the way to go. Turkey sausage makes a quick skillet gravy, that adds another note of flavor when spooned over an egg biscuit sandwich. This breakfast sandwich is a Must for you brunch lovers.
Making the biscuits is a simple process, using a frozen stick of butter and grating it on a box grater. I learned this technique from a Southern Living Magazine cooking video and it is genius. The butter stay super cold and flaky, when added to the flour and lifts the biscuits just so. I think you will really appreciate the lightness of these biscuits especially, topped with a sunny-side up egg and a spoonful of creamy turkey sausage gravy. Happy Brunching!
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 stick frozen butter
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
Turkey Sausage Gravy
1 pound Jennie-O Turkey Sausage, divided
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
2/3 cup low-fat milk
(Makes 6 Biscuit Sandwiches with Leftover Biscuits)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt, whisk. Grate the butter on a box grater.
2. Add the butter to the flour mixture and stir. Pour in the buttermilk and continue to stir, until the dough begins to come together, about 1 minute. Dump the dough out onto a lightly floured counter.
3. Knead the dough for 1 minute and roll it out into a oval shape. Fold the dough in half and give it a quarter turn. Roll the dough out again and fold it in half, give it another quarter turn. Repeat this step two more times and roll the dough out into a large circle, about 1-inch thick. Cut out the biscuits using a 3-inch cutter. Place them on a sheet pan, touching (they rise better).
4. Bake the biscuits in the oven for 15-18 minutes, or until the tops are light golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes.
5. While the biscuits are baking, prepare the turkey sausage gravy. Divide the turkey sausage in half. Crumble half of the sausage in a large skillet and cook over medium heat, until brown. Sprinkle the flour over the top and stir to combine. Add the milk and stir, incorporating the bits off the bottom of the pan, it adds tons of flavor. Continue to cook the turkey sausage gravy for 2 minutes, then turn the heat to simmer to keep warm.
5. Cut the other half of turkey sausage into 1/2 inch slices. In a separate skillet, cook the sliced turkey sausage, until golden brown. Remove form the pan and set on a plate, reserve. Add 1 tablespoon of butter to the pan and cook the eggs, as desired.
6. To serve, cut the biscuits in half and place turkey sausage patty on top of one half. Top with egg and spoon the gravy over the top. Top with other half of biscuit and spoon more turkey sausage gravy around the edge. Enjoy!