Avocados are everywhere this season and nothing goes better with avocados than fresh tomatoes. Like many people, I grow tomatoes in my garden, so during the Summer I have an abundance of these juicy fruits. This recipe for Tomato & Avocado Salad with Feta Dressing is the perfect combination of creamy, sweet and salty using some of Summers best produce.
Feta Cheese is a sheep’s milk cheese – tangy in taste and creamy in texture. It crumbles nicely into the dressing and with a little shake – Feta Dressing is born. The combination of fresh tomatoes and avocados with this dressing will soon be a favorite and it packs nicely for a picnic or party.
2 fresh tomatoes, any variety
1/4 cup red onion + 2 tablespoons, diced
1/3 cup feta cheese (get a block and crumble your own)
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons agave nectar or honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup avocado oil or olive oil
1/2 cup broccoli microgreens or sprouts of any kind
1. Rinse and slice your tomatoes into large chunks and place them in a bowl.
2. Cut the avocado in half and remove the seed. With a knife, dice the avocado into large pieces and then scoop out the chunks into the bowl with the tomatoes.
3. Add the diced 1/4 cup red onion to the tomatoes and avocado mixture.
4. In a sealable jar, add the 2 tablespoons red onion, red wine vinegar, agave nectar, Dijon mustard and a pinch of salt and pepper. Shake the jar for 1 minute to combine the dressing ingredients.
5. Crumble the feta cheese with your fingers and put it into the jar.
6. Add the avocado oil and place the lid on the jar to shake again for another minute.
7. Spoon the dressing by tablespoonfuls on to the salad, I usually use about half the jar. Stir to combine the ingredients. Save the leftover dressing in the refrigerator for another salad.
8. Take 1/2 cup of the microgreens and toss into the salad. I love adding microgreens to all kinds of salads for added texture and flavor. The broccoli variety are unique with lots of health benefits.
9. Serve immediately or chill up to 2 hours in the refrigerator. Serve with your favorite protein for dinner or all by itself at lunchtime. Enjoy!