Creating quick weeknight meals doesn’t have to be complicated, especially if you have a well stocked pantry. Asian food is an simple preparation with a little ground meat and vegetables with a dash of ground ginger, soy sauce and/or fish sauce that you already have on hand.
Stir-frys prepared in a wok or large saute pan are some of the best tasting quick dishes you can make. I love the idea of taking basic ingredients and transforming them into something special and using ground pork will usually get you there. Ground pork is inexpensive and you can find it at most grocery stores. This versatile meat is mostly pork loin, which is fairly lean, so you won’t have to strain off any unnecessary fat while cooking.
Making a sauce with a little fish sauce and chicken broth turns out to be your best friend in this Thai pork dish and green beans are the freshest thing to add crunchy texture to this meal. This one pot dinner is delightful to serve with a scoop of steamed rice and it would also be nice with some garlic noodles.
1 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon ground ginger
2 teaspoons cornstarch – divided
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 scallions, sliced
3 cups green beans, washed
1 cup chicken broth – divided
1 tablespoon fish sauce
2 dashes hot sauce
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
steamed rice, optional
- In a large bowl, combine ground pork, ginger, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, garlic powder, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Using your hands, toss to combine.
- In a wok or large saute pan, add 2 teaspoons oil and place over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook for 1 minute. Add pork and stir – breaking pieces apart while cooking.
- In a glass, whisk together 1/4 cup chicken broth and remaining cornstarch, set aside.
- Add green beans to pork and remaining chicken broth. Cook for 5 minutes, until beans begin to soften.
- Make a well in the center and add chicken broth mixture, fish sauce and hot sauce. Fold sauce into pork and green beans until coated. Continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Squeeze juice of lime over the top and sprinkle with fresh cilantro leaves. Serve with rice. Enjoy!