Green beans are usually a family favorite, especially when it comes to vegetables because there isn’t any bitter taste or unique texture to overcome. Green beans are mild, which creates an opportunity to add flavor of any kind. Most green bean recipes are cooked on the stove top for convenience and call for the usual ingredients – garlic, onions and either olive oil or butter, but why stop there? To create a more inviting dish, add a few pickled jalapenos and some fresh tomatoes for a sweet & spicy touch.
This recipe for Sweet & Spicy Green Beans will become a family favorite and pairs nicely with any fish, chicken or beef but, especially barbecue this summer. These green beans would also go nicely with my Oven Braised Chipotle Brisket or Balsamic Glazed Rib Eye recipes.
4 cups fresh green beans, organic preferably
1 clove garlic, smashed
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 cup pickled jalapenos, homemade or store-bought (they sell tamed jalapenos for just a hint of heat)
(Serves 4-6 side dish portions)
1. Wash and trim the ends of the green beans.
2. In a medium pot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced onion and garlic clove to the pot and saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add the green beans and another tablespoon of olive oil to the pot and saute for an additional 10 minutes. You do want a little browning, but if the heat is too high, the vegetables will start sticking, so monitor the heat accordingly.
4. Dice the jalapenos and tomato while the green beans are cooking.
5. Add the jalapenos and tomato to the pot and stir to combine. Add 1/2 cup of water to the green beans and cover with a slightly cracked lid for 7 minutes.
6. Remove the lid from the pot and stir. Continuing cooking the green beans uncovered for 2 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed. Salt and pepper to taste and pour into a serving bowl. Enjoy!