Galettes or rustic tarts are pastries that are very popular these days and much easier to put together than a standard tart because you don’t use a pie or tart pan. These free-form tarts are one of my favorite things to bake, especially when spring fruit and vegetables come into play, and right now rhubarb is peaking its head at local farmer’s market and grocery stores. Rhubarb is a spring vegetable that pairs so nicely with fresh strawberries. The contrasting magic of the two is a home baker’s dream and something I always look forward to creating during this time of the year.
Mother’s Day is tomorrow and this tart would be a very special gift for any mom. It’s not difficult to put together, it just has a three-step process, which starts with making a buttery dough that becomes a flaky crust after baking. The next step is to slice fresh strawberries and rhubarb and toss with sugar, flour and lemon juice – so their juices thicken to form the most stunning filling you’ve ever tasted. The crumb topping is the last thing to prepare and probably the easiest of the three, but most remembered because of its outstanding crunch on top of the galette. I love a good rustic strawberry rhubarb dessert and whether you’re giving it away to someone special, or enjoying it with friends after dinner, it’s truly a delightful treat.
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour + more for dusting counter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1/ 2 cup ice water
*2 tablespoons cream for brushing on edges
1 1/2 pints of fresh strawberries, sliced
3 stalks fresh rhubarb, sliced in 1/2 inch pieces
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup light brown sugar
6 tablespoons cold butter, diced
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- For Crust – In a large bowl or stand mixer, add flour, sugar and salt – whisk. Add butter and mix on low until coarse crumbs. Add water and mix – just until dough begins to come together. Using your hands form dough into a ball and wrap in a piece of plastic wrap. Press into a disc and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 day.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. For Filling – Mix together sliced strawberries and rhubarb. Add sugar, flour and lemon juice, stir. Set aside.
- For Crumb Topping – Add all ingredients to a medium bowl and using hands – press together until coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- On a flour dusted surface, roll out dough into a 12-inch circle. Roll up around rolling pin and unroll onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Place filling in center of dough, leaving about 2-inches from edge. Top with crumb topping.
- Fold edges up around filling. Brush edges with heavy cream. Check out my Reel on Instagram @genabellrecipes for video.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Remove and let cool to room temperature before slicing. Enjoy!