Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner time — this seasonal Spring Green Frittata brings fabulous vegetables to the forefront of your plate with a delicious take.
Eggs are a versatile food and can be whisked until creamy and added to almost any fresh ingredients. They are especially nice with crunchy sugar snap peas and sweet scallions — springtime vegetables that are beautiful right now. These two greens brighten eggs and when baked together in a hot oven, create a creamy frittata that’s wonderful to enjoy any time of the day.
There is something magical about scallions in the springtime — they’re sweeter and more delicate than other times of the year. The green chive portion of the scallions make a great topping to bake on top of the custardy eggs, and inform diners what’s in this dish and sugar snap peas (not to be confused with Chinese Snow Peas) are almost as sweet as candy, and are only available for a short time during spring. You can double this recipe and make a meal for four as well, but it’s a fun dinner for two tonight.
4 extra large eggs or 5 large
2 tablespoons half & half
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup sugar snap peas, cleaned and sliced in half
4 thin scallions, trimmed and white part sliced into 1 inch pieces (save green chives for top)
1/4 cup white cheddar cheese + 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup fresh parsley, roughly chopped
salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In an 8-inch non-stick skillet over medium heat, add butter and allow to melt. Swirl butter around skillet.
- While butter melts, whisk eggs and half & half together in a bowl.
- Add sugar snap peas and white scallions to pan. Sauté for 4 minutes or until edges are slightly charred. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon black pepper.
- Reduce heat to low and add eggs. Top eggs with 1/4 cup white cheddar cheese. Top with a few of the green chive portion of scallions. Remove from heat and place in oven to bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley. Slice and serve. Enjoy!