Here’s a fun recipe if you are looking for a savory Halloween dinner idea. I made these several years ago, when I was throwing a Halloween Costume Dinner Party and they were a real hit. First, I slowly sauteed the leeks in butter and added a splash of champagne and then, I seared the scallops in a separate pan for a crunchy exterior. Top the scallops with a sliced stuffed green olive and place on top, for eye balls. It doesn’t get any spookier than that!
Serve these Spooky Scallops with Sauteed Leeks & Olives as a main course, followed by a fun creepy dessert and you’ll have yourself a haunting good time. Also, you can prepare these scallops without the olives, for a marvelous dinner on any occasion. Happy Halloween!
20 large sea scallops
6 leeks, cleaned and sliced
1/3 bottle of champagne
1/2 stick butter
salt and pepper
green olives with pimentos, sliced
1. In two large saute pans heat half the butter and two tablespoons olive oil in each pan. Add the leeks to one pan and begin to cook over medium heat. In the other pan, wait until it is hot and add the scallops and sear them for 2 minutes on first side.
2. Next, continue to stir leeks until translucent and soft. Add the champagne and continue to stir.
3. Salt and pepper leeks to taste and add more butter for a creamier sauce if desired.
4. In the other pan, flip scallops over and cook for one more minute.
5. First spoon leeks onto plate, followed by two or three scallops and top with olives for eyes.