I love spicy food, especially with the perfect amount of heat. Dumplings tend to be on the mild side, so I thought, why not make my own recipe adding a tad of spice to heighten the delicious flavors of homemade potstickers?
The dipping sauce is another key factor in a good dumpling recipe. I combine the same ingredients that I used in the dumplings with the addition of a teaspoon of agave nectar for sweetness. This tangy soy-based sauce, adds additional seasoning to the dumplings, which makes them scrumptious. These Spicy Shrimp Dumplings are perfect as an appetizer or main dish and go nicely with a glass of Pinot Noir or Riesling.
1/2 pound fresh jumbo shrimp
3 ounce water chestnuts
6 tablespoons soy sauce, divided
2 teaspoons chili oil, divided
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil, divided
1 teaspoon agave nectar
1/2 Serrano chili, minced
1 scallion, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
18 round dumpling wrappers, refrigerated section of grocery store
(Makes 18 Dumplings)
1. Remove the tails and devein the shrimp. Chop the shrimp into 1/4 inch pieces.
2. In a food processor, add half the shrimp, water chestnuts, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 teaspoon chili oil, 1 teaspoon sesame oil, white part of the scallion and Serrano chili. Pulse the mixture about 12 times, until smooth. Remove from the food processor and place in a bowl. Add the chopped cilantro, juice of 1/2 lime and the other half of the chopped shrimp. Stir to combine.
3. Using a brush or your finger, lightly wet with water the perimeter of dumpling wrapper and dollop a heaping teaspoon of the shrimp mixture into the center. Repeat until all the wrappers are filled.
4. In a large saute pan, add 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and place over medium high heat. Add half the dumplings and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Flip the dumplings over and add 1/3 cup of water to the pan, cover with lid. Steam the dumplings for 3 minutes. Remove the lid and continue to cook another minute.
5. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining dumplings. To make the sauce, add 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, 1 teaspoon of chili oil, 1 teaspoon of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon agave nectar and the green part of the scallion to a bowl. Stir to combine.
6. Place all the dumplings on a serving platter and serve with the sauce. Enjoy!