I just got back from Kennedy Meadows, a rustic resort in the Sierra Nevada Mountains. I haven’t been to Kennedy Meadows since I was a kid, but remember how me and my siblings and cousins enjoyed it so much. The cabins are small, but big enough for everyone a bed, and the kitchen, well – it functions if you can guesstimate the oven temperature.
This place is so lovely with the Stanislaus River running through it and horses to ride to the peaks of the Sierras. The air is fresh, even in the heat of the day and the nights cool down for perfect bonfire s’more making. As for the food, you definitely go rustic and load up on supplies at home before departing for such a vacation.
Breakfasts are done family-style while cabining in these parts, and I thought a breakfast pizza made with a base of tater tots with some scrambled eggs on top with extra sharp cheddar cheese would seem fitting. The iron skillet is a useful tool in the kitchen, especially on a nature vacation because you can use it in the fire, oven or as a lid or serving tool for meals.
You can make this dish right in the convenience of your own home for breakfast, but I highly recommend it in front of a campfire in the morning with a hot cup of Joe. You may even want to serve it with a scoop of salsa for a bit of a kick.
3 cups tater tots, regular or cauliflower
8 large eggs
2 tablespoon heavy cream
1 1/2 cups white cheddar cheese, grated
salt and pepper
1/3 cup fresh herbs, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large iron skillet, add tater tots upright around perimeter and flat across bottom of pan. Place in oven for 12 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Using another skillet or spatula, press to flattened. Place back in oven for 5 minutes.
- While tots are cooking, whisk eggs and cream and scramble in a separate pan over medium-low heat. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Remove skillet from oven and sprinkle with half of cheese and spoon scrambled eggs on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake for 4 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with herbs. Serve in slices. Enjoy!