I love a good salad as a complete meal when it’s hot outside because it has all the tasty components of a multi-course dinner, but it doesn’t make me feel weighted down. Preparing a salad as an entrée can be quick and easy, especially if you sauté the ingredients in the same pan and pile them up in one bowl. Big gorgeous prawns or jumbo shrimp cook quickly, as does sliced zucchini, that layer onto mixed greens, and quinoa. The vinaigrette is what brings this salad summertime personality because it has both Dijon mustard (did you hear about the shortage in France?) and freshly minced dill for a burst of tangy aromatic flavor.
This recipe is simple — fresh shrimp, zucchini, mixed greens — and pantry items. Quinoa cooks in minutes and can be cooled, while you sauté the zucchini and shrimp. The key to delicious fast meals is to utilize your time wisely and create one-bowl meals. Summer is about spending time in the outdoors and mealtime should be no different, so make it light and easy in the kitchen – and enjoy this scrumptious salad on the patio.
1/2 cup quinoa, cooked according to package
2 medium zucchini, sliced
4-8 large jumbo shrimp or prawns, cleaned and deveined
4 cups mixed greens
1 lemon, sliced in half
salt and pepper
neutral oil for cooking
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons freshly minced dill, or 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
pinch of salt and pepper
1/2 cup neutral oil, grapeseed, canola, avocado etc.
- Cook quinoa according to package and spoon into a bowl to cool.
- In a medium sauté pan, add 2 teaspoons oil and place over medium-high heat. Add zucchini and cook for 2 minutes without stirring or tossing. Sprinkle with a big pinch of salt and pepper, and squeeze juice of half a lemon over top. Toss or stir and let cook for 2 minutes. Remove and place in bowl to cool, while you prepare the vinaigrette.
- Cook shrimp in same pan with 1 teaspoon oil for 3 minutes. Flip and squeeze other half of lemon over top and pinch of salt. Cook for 2 minutes, then remove from pan, set aside.
- In a jar with fitted lid, add all vinaigrette ingredients. Shake, shake, shake.
- In a large bowl, add mixed greens, cooled quinoa, zucchini and most of vinaigrette and toss. Add shrimp and toss again. Add last of vinaigrette, if needed.
- Spoon onto salad plates and Enjoy!