Grilling is on and one of my favorite things to grill is kebabs. A Kebab, a combination of skewered meats, veggies and seafood of any kind, is a great way to fuse tantalizing foods all on one stick. I love the idea of being able to put together any variety of protein, vegetables and fruits and create a fresh and flavorful meal.
In this recipe, I chunk up fresh salmon and pineapple, along with seeded jalapenos for a slight kick of heat and glaze them in honey miso, which adds to the overall umami experience. This light, but delectable skewer will definitely send you in the right grilling direction this summer.
2/3 pound fresh salmon
1 fresh pineapple, or 1 1/2 cups chunked pineapple
3 jalapenos, seeded
1/2 cup yellow miso, found in refrigerated section of grocery store
2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon chili oil
skewers, pre-soak in water
(Makes 4 Skewers)
1. Preheat grill to 400 degrees and oil grates with cloth. Peel and chunk pineapple and salmon. Make sure the chunks are reasonably sized, so they don’t break off while cooking on the grill. Seed and slice jalapenos into thirds.
2. Layer the skewers with a piece of pineapple, salmon and jalapeno. Repeat one more time or if using longer skewers, repeat several times.
3. In a small grill safe saucepan, combine the miso, soy sauce, honey and chili oil. Heat on low and stir until smooth. When the grill is ready place the skewers and the sauce on the grill.
4. Cook the skewers 4-5 minutes and turn over. Brush the skewers with the honey miso glaze and cook another 3-4 minutes. Remove from the grill and brush again with sauce.
5. Serve on fun plates with freshly chopped cilantro, enjoy!