Prosciutto and melon are a popular Italian dish made often as an appetizer or snack. The flavors of salty cured ham with the sweetness of cantaloupe go nicely together and when combined in a salad, are even better. Fresh mixed greens with sliced melon and diced prosciutto and a chunk of creamy burrata make the perfect summer salad.
Burrata, a combination of mozzarella and cream, can be found in most grocery stores. Burrata’s creamy interior, when sliced open, almost resembles small curd cottage cheese and the flavor is mild, but adds a delicate texture to the entire salad. Slice each ball of burrata into four pieces and toss with the other salad ingredients for this refreshingly light summer salad.
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
2 teaspoons honey or agave nectar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup sunflower oil
4 cups mixed greens, any variety
1/4 cantaloupe or other melon
1/4 pound fresh prosciutto
1 ball fresh burrata cheese
1. Chop the shallot in half and remove the skin. Save the other half for another use. Dice the shallot finely.
2. In a small jelly jar, add the diced shallot and dried oregano. Then, pour in both vinegars, honey and Dijon mustard.
3. Shake the mixture for 1 minute until combined.
4. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and pour in the sunflower oil. Shake for another minute and place in the refrigerator while you make the salad.
5. In a bowl, add the mixed greens. Remove the prosciutto from the paper and roll into a log.
6. Cut the prosciutto 1/2 inch slices and once down the center to make a rough dice. Add the prosciutto to the salad.
7. Cut the melon into quarters and remove the skin from 1 quarter. Dice the melon into chunks and add it to the greens.
8. Remove the vinaigrette from the refrigerator, add it to the salad by the spoonful, about 1/3 of the jar. Sprinkle the salad with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
9. Cut the burrata into four equal pieces and add it to the salad. Toss again gently to combine the salad.
10. Portion the salad onto plates and serve with your favorite protein or all by itself. Enjoy!