I hope you all had a great weekend celebrating mom. I had a nice couple of days dining outside, and boy was it a welcomed change. There were weeks where I just needed a cooking break, but wasn’t ready to make the pandemic plunge into outdoor dining. Now there are quite a few safe outdoor options with tables sufficiently spaced apart for my comfort zone. There are so many chefs and restaurant owners that I want to support, so I’m doing my best to head outside at least once a week for a good meal. However on most days, I’m cooking here and posting some great new recipes; like this chicken salad.
Poaching chicken is not a difficult task. Adding chicken breasts to a skillet, along with some cold water and a few aromatics like lemon, onion and fresh herbs, makes a bubbling broth for meat to cook gently. The chicken comes out poached to perfection and easily sliced, and it’s delightful on a bed of greens. I thought a few fresh strawberries would add the right amount of sweetness, coupled with my honey poppy seed vinaigrette.
The whole salad is made under 20 minutes, and you can always save half for lunches or another meal. I also think it makes a refreshing change to dinnertime, especially on days where we all might need to lighten up on the heavy meals because summer is just around the corner. If you know what I mean? Check out my Instagram Reel @genabellrecipes
2 half chicken boneless skinless breasts
1/4 wedge of onion
1/3 cup fresh herbs, any variety
1 small head gem or baby red leaf lettuce, separated and cleaned
8 fresh strawberries
10 fresh mint leaves, optional
1/4 cup white wine, or champagne vinegar
2 teaspoons honey
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon poppy seeds
1/3 cup olive oil
pinch of salt & pepper
- In a large skillet, add chicken and cold water to cover. Add lemon, onion and herbs and place over medium heat until boiling, then reduce heat to simmer. Cover skillet with lid and poach for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove lid and place chicken breasts on cutting board to cool.
- Place clean lettuce leaves in a large serving bowl. Wash and slice strawberries, set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, honey, mustard and poppy seeds. While whisking, drizzle in olive oil until slightly thickened and add salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Slice chicken when cool to touch and place on top of lettuce. Top with strawberries and fresh mint leaves, if desired. Drizzle salad with a few teaspoons of vinaigrette and serve with remaining dressing. Enjoy!