Creamy citrus with a pillow-like topping — Key Lime Pie with Fluffy Meringue makes the holiday season so beautifully tasty.
Apple, pumpkin and pecan pies are usually the classics on most holiday tables and this cream pie recipe should be part of that delightful menu this year. A simple key lime pie with fresh lime juice and zest are folded together with eggs and sweetened condensed milk for an outstanding pie base. It’s a simple mixture – one that many have made over the years, and using limes instead of lemons, creates an extra special treat.
However, it’s the fluffy meringue that takes this citrus pie over the top. Swiss meringue, made by warming eggs over a water bath with some sugar, and then whipping until fluffy, is truly the icing on top. It’s the most wonderful combination and makes this dessert super special. I used a tart pan for this pie because I love the ease of a removeable ring for slicing, but you can use a classic pie dish and double the filling ingredients and cook time, if needed.
15 full graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, melted
1/3 cup fresh lime juice, about 6 standard limes or 12 Key limes
zest of 2 limes
4 large eggs, separated
14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
1/3 cup sour cream
egg whites, from above
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon cream of tarter
pinch of salt
(Makes 1 Pie)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a food processor, pulverize Crust ingredients until smooth crumbs. Add crumbs into a 9-inch removeable bottom tart pan and press into bottom and up sides. Place in the refrigerator, while you prepare the filling.
- In a large bowl, add lime juice, zest, egg yolks (reserve egg whites for meringue), condensed milk, and sour cream, whisk until smooth. Pour into crust and bake for 20-25 minutes, just until set. Remove from oven and let cool to room temperature.
- Add egg whites and sugar to a heat proof bowl and place over a pot of water that is simmering. Whisk until sugar is melted and warm to touch, do not over cook.
- Pour warm egg white mixture into a stand mixer and whisk until light and airy for 3 minutes. Add cream of tarter and contiinue to whisk until fluffy, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon meringue over top of lime custard and spread to edges. Store in refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!